Raw Rice/Pachari > 1¾ cup
Parboiled Rice > ¼ cup
Cooked Rice > ½ cup
Grated Coconut > ¾ cup
Coconut milk > ¼ cup(optional)
Jaggery > 125g (Melted and strained)
Cumin Seed > ½ tsp (Roasted)
Chukki/Dry Ginger > 1 or 2 pinch
Sugar > ¼ tsp
Yeast > ½ tsp
Salt > 1pinch
Cashew & Raisins > Garnishing
Cardamom > 2 pods
Butter/Ghee > 1tsp
- Wash & soak the rice for 5-6hrs.
- Stir yeast and sugar in 2tbp of warm water and keep it for 10-15mins.
- Drain the rice and grind soaked rice, cooked rice, grated coconut, coconut milk , cumin seed, chukka, jaggery, cardamom, yeast mixture and salt. (Batter consistency should be same as that of idly batter.)
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, close it with a lid and keep in a warm place for 6-8hrs to ferment.
- Now the batter will be ready, check the sweetness.
- Grease a flat round steel plate by adding ghee. Now fill half of the plate with batter and stem it (using a steamer or double boil) .
- When it is half cooked(1Omins) garnish with cashews and raisins and again steam it for 10-15mins. Insert a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean means your kinnathappam is ready.
- Remove the plate from the steamer and allow it to cool.
- Once it is cooled you can remove it from plate and cut into desired shape.
Serve it as a snack or breakfast.