Parippu Payasam/ Parippu Pradhaman/ Cherupayar Payasam
Cherupayar Parippu/Moog Dal > ½ Cup
Jaggery/ Sharkkara(grated) > ½ -1 Cup (according to your taste)
Thick Coconut Milk/Onnampal/ Thalapal > ½ Cup
Thin Coconut Milk/Randampal > 1 Cup
Cardamom Powder > ¼ tsp
Cumin Powder > ¼ tsp
Chukki Powder/ Dry Ginger Powder > ¼ tsp
Cashew Nuts > 8
Coconut Pieces/ Thengakothi > 2tbp
Ghee > 1 tbp
- Roast the parippu in a pan without ghee, till it turn golden brown. Wash it well and pressure cook for 3 whisles by adding 1½ cups of water. Mash the parippu using the back of spatula(don’t mash it too much)
- Melt the jaggery in 2cup of water till it reaches a syrup consistency. Strain the melted jaggery into the cooked parippu.
- Now add 1tbp of ghee to the above mixture, mix well and allow it to boil.
- Add the powders (cumin, cardamom & chukka) to the thin coconut milk/randampal and mix it to the parippu. Cook in medium flame , stir continuously until it thickens.
- In a small pan add ½ tbp of ghee and roast the coconut pieces/thengakothi till it turn light brown and drain on to a paper towel. Now roast the cashews till it turn golden brown and then keep it aside
- Now reduce the flame and add thick coconut milk/onnampal and switch off the flame after 1-2minute. Add the roasted cashews and coconut pieces and mix well.
Serve the parippu payasam hot or cold.